+ 22 artists who have spoken out against President Trump playing their music at his events
Oct 26, 2020, 4:09 PM
Many musicians have spoken up about not wanting their music played at President Trump's rallies or events. Reuters/James Glover II
Many famous musicians and their families have spoken out against President Donald Trump using their music for his rallies and other events.
Some artists, like Rihanna, Steven Tyler, and Pharrell Williams, reportedly had their teams issue cease-and-desist notices to the Trump campaign.
Artists like Elton John, Adele, and Dee Snider have spoken about not wanting President Trump to use their music for his events.
From his presidential campaign to his current presidency, President Donald Trump has received disapproval from many musicians who don't want their music played at his events.
Many artists and their teams have even sent cease-and-desist notices, which are essentially warnings that demand a specific action be stopped or else legal action will be pursued.
From Neil Young to Rihanna, here are the artists — or their representatives — who have spoken out against President Trump using their music at his events and rallies:
+ Headstones in Jewish cemetery spray-painted with ‘Trump’ graffiti, Michigan photos show
Tue, November 3, 2020, 8:36 AM CST
Headstones in a Jewish cemetery in Michigan were discovered vandalized with red “Trump” graffiti Monday, the day before Election Day, police say.
Photos show several headstones at the cemetery owned by the Congregation Ahavas Israel in Grand Rapids spray-painted “with the letters TRUMP and MAGA,” Rabbi David J.B. Krishef, the synagogue’s leader, said in a statement to The Detroit News.
+ People are calling to boycott Home Depot after its co-founder said he was voting for Trump and encouraged others to do the same
Sun, November 1, 2020, 8:39 AM CST
People on social media are calling for a boycott of Home Depot after its co-founder pledged his support for President Trump in the upcoming 2020 election.
In a Friday opinion article in Fox News, Home Depot co-founder Bernie Marcus explained why he was supporting a second term for President Trump and why other Americans should do similarly.
Marcus donated $7 million to Trump during the 2016 campaign, data from the Center for Responsive Politics showed.
Angry shoppers are once again calling for a boycott of Home Depot after its co-founder announced his support for President Trump in the 2020 election.
In a Friday opinion article in Fox News, Home Depot co-founder Bernie Marcus explained why he was supporting a second term for President Trump and why other Americans should do similarly. In the wake of the article, people took to Twitter to voice their disapproval using the hashtag #boycotthomedepot.
+ Cruz in heated exchange with Twitter's Dorsey: 'Who the hell elected you?'
BY REBECCA KLAR
Sen. Ted Cruz during a hearing on Wednesday accused Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey of censoring content with an anti-conservative bias, with the Texas Republican focusing his argument around a policy the tech company has since changed.
Cruz slammed Dorsey during the Senate Commerce Committee hearing over the company's decision earlier this month to limit the spread of a New York Post report that included allegations about Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden's son Hunter Biden that have been disputed by the former vice president's campaign.
The company initially blocked users, including the New York Post, from tweeting links to the article, citing Twitter's hacked material policy. The company later amended the policy and allowed users to share the links.
"Mr. Dorsey, who the hell elected you and put you in charge of what the media are allowed to report and what the American people are allowed to hear, and why do you persist in behaving as a Democratic super PAC silencing views to the contrary of your political beliefs?" Cruz asked Dorsey during a heated exchange on Wednesday.
"We're not doing that," Dorsey responded. "This is why I opened this hearing with calls for more transparency. We realized we need to earn trust more, we realized that more accountability is needed to show our intentions and to show the outcomes. So I hear the concerns and acknowledge them, but we want to fix it with more transparency."
Cruz, one of the Senate's most vocal critics of Big Tech, said Google, Facebook and Twitter pose "the single greatest threat to free speech in America." He took particular aim at Twitter, calling the company's conduct the "most egregious."
Dorsey defended the platform's policies against Cruz's accusations of censorship. Rather, he said, Twitter wants to make sure that "more voices on the platform are possible."
"We see a lot of abuse and harassment, which ends up silencing people and having them leave from the platform," Dorsey said.
He also said that the Post would be able to share its article if it deletes its initial tweet, under the company's amended policy.
Dorsey noted that every person or organization that signs up to have an account on Twitter agrees to its terms and services.
Republicans' accusations of an anti-conservative bias were amplified in the wake of actions taken to limit the spread of the Post's article, which instantly drew scrutiny over its sourcing. Conservative content, however, is often amplified on social media platforms and is dominant on Facebook, based on publicly available data about post interactions.
President Trump has also criticized the companies' decisions to limit the spread of the Post's report and add warning labels to his own posts with baseless claims that mail-in ballots lead to widespread voter fraud.
+ Yet Again, Trump Rally Attendees Stranded On-Site For Hours After Trump Leaves
Mon, November 2, 2020, 1:04 PM CST·2 mins read
On Sunday night ― and for the second time in one week ― hundreds of Trump supporters leaving a rally were forced to wait hours in the cold for buses meant to drive them back to their cars.
In footage first shared by NBC News, hundreds of rally attendees in Rome, Georgia, could be seen huddled together long after President Donald Trump had ended his remarks and taken off for Florida, his next campaign stop.
As the temperature hovered around 46 degrees, some among the stranded sat and lay on the ground as they waited, and others tried to hitch rides from strangers.
Hundreds of Trump supporters at a rally in Omaha, Nebraska, last Tuesday also found themselves stranded for hours after Trump left, waiting on buses to take them back to their cars.
Throughout his campaign, Trump’s choice to hold large, in-person rallies ― in defiance of public health guidelines and with coronavirus cases and deaths spiking in states across the country ― has not been without consequence.
According to a recent study out of Stanford University, a series of Trump rallies from June to September effectively served as superspreader events, resulting in 30,000 new cases of the coronavirus and at least 700 deaths in communities he visited.
+ 'A global conspiracy against God and humanity': Controversial Catholic archbishop pushes QAnon themes in letter to Trump
Sat, October 31, 2020, 8:40 AM CDT
A controversial figure within the Roman Catholic Church made waves in the online world of QAnon Friday, after his open letter to President Trump was quoted in a post from the anonymous leader of the cultlike conspiracy movement.
The letter by Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, a former Vatican ambassador to the United States and outspoken adversary of Pope Francis, hit many of the favorite themes of the pro-Trump conspiracy theory, attacking its familiar villains, from the ominous “global elite” to Bill Gates and “the mainstream media.”
“The fate of the whole world is being threatened by a global conspiracy against God and humanity,” Viganò wrote, emphasizing the “epochal importance of the imminent election,” casting Trump as “the final garrison against the world dictatorship” and his Democratic opponent, former Vice President Joe Biden, as “a person who is manipulated by the deep state.”
Not long after “Q” posted the letter to the fringe message board 8kun early Friday morning, it was tweeted by former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn. Flynn, a retired Army lieutenant general who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his contacts with Russian officials, has publicly embraced QAnon rhetoric in the past, and his tweet quickly generated tens of thousands of retweets and even more likes.
+ Dishonesty Has Defined the Trump Presidency. The Consequences Could Be Lasting.
Sun, November 1, 2020, 12:20 PM CST
WASHINGTON — Born amid made-up crowd size claims and “alternative facts,” the Trump presidency has been a factory of falsehood from the start, churning out distortions, conspiracy theories and brazen lies at an assembly-line pace that has challenged fact-checkers and defied historical analogy.
But now, with the election two days away, the consequences of four years of fabulism are coming into focus as President Donald Trump argues that the vote itself is inherently “rigged,” tearing at the credibility of the system. Should the contest go into extra innings through legal challenges after Tuesday, it may leave a public with little faith in the outcome — and in its own democracy.
+ “I was doing press with somebody in the mid-'90s,” Reznor told The New York Times in a new interview, “and they made an argument that stayed with me: that I have influence, and that it’s my job to call out whatever needs to be called out, because there are people who feel the same way but need someone to articulate it. And I think about that today, because it seemed like it was a lot easier to just keep your mouth shut and let it go back then. You don’t hear a lot from the Taylor Swifts of the world, and top-tier, needle-moving cultural youth, because they are concerned about their brand, their demographic and their success and career and whatnot.”
Asked if he thought the modern environment felt different, he agreed. “I know how I feel, and I have let it get to me in ways I wish it hadn’t," he said. "My worrying about it isn’t helping anything. But what Donald Trump is doing is concerning and infuriating..."